JUPEB, is the acronym Joint Universities Preliminary Examination Board. It is a National Examination body saddled with the responsibility of conducting examinations for students, who have undergone approved subject combinations and are seeking Direct Entry admissions into Nigerian and partnering foreign tertiary institutions.
The establishment of this examinations body was approved in December 2013 by the Federal Government of Nigeria to fill the gap created by the discontinuance of Advanced Level Examinations. It is an Approved, Proven and Certified Advanced level moderated by the University of Lagos, Lagos and having the coordinating body in various tertiary institutions and different study centres nationwide. The programme is specifically designed to provide an opportunity for candidate who cannot gain admission to regular degree programmes in Nigerian Universities for one reason or the other, as the programme only requires candidates O’level result and JAMB result.
Currently, twenty-two universities in Nigeria are accepting JUPEB result into 200 level. This background establishes the need for JUPEB Programme in the Sciences that will serve as a platform to equip prospective students for university admission into 200 level, give them a good head-start and promote superior studentship in the university.
To be eligible to take examinations leading to the award of JUPEB’s Direct Entry Certificates, the candidate must have been exposed to an intensive scheme of academic work relevant to his/her proposed university course.
- Each candidate must register, sit for Examinations and satisfy the Board in three subjects and a General Studies course relevant to the proposed course in any of the universities
- Each subject is to be broken into four courses to be taken, two per semester, by the candidate. The results in all the courses are to be merged at the end of the second semester to obtain the candidate’s grade in that particular subject.
- Each candidate is expected to take twelve (12) courses, six per semester, and a General Studies course.
- The general Studies for courses in each University Faculty will be based on relevant General courses suggested for that Faculty by each university.
- The students upon completion of the programme will be issued certificates based on their level of performance which bear Letter Grades of A, B, C, D, E or F in each of the three subjects and General Studies Paper.
For admission into each university, each candidate, in addition to passing the prescribed JUPEB examinations for issuing the Direct Entry Certificates, must satisfy all other conditions as prescribed by his/her university of choice.
The Basic Qualification for Enrolment is a minimum of five (5) Credit Passes at the Senior Secondary Certificate (SSCE)/General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary level in subject relevant to the desired University programme or course of study.
Currently, twenty-two universities in Nigeria are accepting JUPEB result into 200 level. This background establishes the need for JUPEB Programme in the Sciences that will serve as a platform to equip prospective students for university admission into 200 level, give them a 5.